I forgot to go the the tax office on Friday to make an appointment for today. I went there really early (8:15) in hopes that I could get an appointment to get a sofi-number for this afternoon. But for some unknown reason I couldn’t get one for today. So now I have an appointment for tomorrow morning.
I did get my temporary resident permit this morning for only €430. I’ll just include that with moving expenses that the university is paying for. Anyways I am good for six months while the department of justice reviews my application.
The are still two outstanding things that there are to do. I believe this is only for the city government. They want a legalized copy of my birth certificate. Although I gave a letter from my landlord they still want a copy of her passport. I can only guess they want this copy so they can check the signature on the letter. I asked what I should do if she doesn’t have a passport. The bureaucrat looked at his computer and said that she did have a passport. I did not ask, “If you know that she has a passport, why do you need me to bring in a copy?”
I am told that it is now the law in the Netherlands that everyone must have (carry?) I.D. with them. Don’t you just love conservative governments? *sigh* Who wants to buy a farm and start a anarchist commune with me?
Things to do/get:
- sofi-number - requires: temporary resident permit
- bank account - requires: sofi-number, address, passport, employment contract
- mobile-phone - requires: bank account
- health insurance - requires: sofi-number, doctor
- sign employment contract - requires: sofi-number, employment contract
- get paid - requires: sofi-number, signed employment contract, bank account
- internet connection at home - requires: cable modem, router
- non-temporary resident permit - requires: legalized birth certificate, landlord’s passport
- place to sleep
- got moving expenses
- temporary resident permit