Yesterday the HR person was away so I wasn’t able to get my employment contract, so I went downtown to try and start various processes. I went to the Belastingdienst (tax office) and made an appointment this morning to get a sofi-number (social insurance number). I went to the Stadswinkel to apply for a resident’s permit, and made an appointment for the 24th. The ABN/AMRO bank on campus wanted a sofi-number, passport, rental contract, employment contract before I could open an account.
Today I went to the Belastingdienst for my appointment only to be told I need to get my resident’s permit first. I also visited the Rabobank to see what they had to say about opening an account. They just wanted my passport, and proof of income from the university. I made an appointment with them for tomorrow.
Things to do/get:
- internet connection at home - requires: router
- employment contract
- bank account - requires: sofi-number, rental contract, passport, employment contract OR passport, employment contract
- mobile-phone - requires: bank account
- resident’s permit - requires: employment contract
- health insurance - requires: passport, employment contract, resident’s permit
- sofi-number - requires: resident’s permit
- get paid - requires: sofi-number, employment contract, bank account
- Place to sleep
I fear as I get more information the dependencies will become circular. My friend assures me that other people go though this process, so it will be possible. I still fear that everyone is independently and randomly adding more requirement every year, so maybe the dependencies will become circular.